Fresh Seafood - Melbourne
For food lovers, the oceans and seas of the world can be seen as vast reservoirs of delicious seafood. We have all come to love these amazing options over the years and seafood is especially popular in Australia. Blessed with a superb coastline brimming with sea life, Australia has fast become a seafood lover’s paradise. If there is one place in Australia which is known for producing excellent food of all sorts, with a special love of fresh seafood, Melbourne has to be singled out. Through fresh seafood Melbourne has been able to carve out a niche for itself in the world whether it’s haute cuisine in a fine dining restaurant or your backyard barbie, seafood is now on everybody’s minds.
With such a high level of competition and with the people of Melbourne expecting great things, restaurants throughout Melbourne compete with each other to produce the freshest and most inspiring dishes out of the numerous seafood options that are available. However, this would not be possible without the chefs having access to high quality, super fresh seafood. Access to such products is possible due to the hard work of the local fish mongers. Early morning is probably the best time to see a seafood market in all its glory. The seafood available in Melbourne markets is a sight to behold at this time of the day; because this is when you can procure the best fresh seafood Melbourne has to offer. With some fabulous seafood like Coral Trout, Wild Barramundi, Snapper, Prawns, Scallops and Oysters on display, it becomes a difficult task to choose the best out of the best seafood. However, the staff at Claringbold’s are always happy to provide assistance when you are trying to choose the right products for your meals.
What to expect in Melbourne Seafood Markets
The close proximity to the coast and the number of notable restaurants in the city has made Melbourne a real treasure trove of seafood. A large range of the fresh seafood Melbourne has can be easily found at our store in the lovely Prahran Market. All the restaurants in the area take pride in the fact that they get to work with such fresh produce, especially the seafood. The locals also look forward to their trips to the market to buy the freshest Crayfish, Oysters or fish on offer. If you love the thought of cooking up rustic style seafood chowder or a simple grilled fish, remember that the freshness will make it taste even better.
The fresh seafood Melbourne markets have on offer is some of the best from around Australia. At Claringbold’s we do our best to stock a wide range of popular products since every cuisine has its own requirements for the types of seafood required.
The Endless Variety
The different types of seafood that is available in Australia really is exceptional and Melbourne has a unique advantage when it comes to seafood. Port Phillip is an area of great importance to all the seafood lovers in Melbourne, since most of the seafood consumed in Melbourne is sourced from this area. The numerous varieties of fresh fish available means that people in Melbourne are in the enviable position of having a seemingly endless choice when it comes to seafood. Some of the most common varieties of fresh seafood Melbourne has to offer are:
- Barramundi-Also known as the Asian Sea Bass, this native species of fish has long been a favourite among the people of Melbourne. This sweet flavoured variety has white flaky flesh and its high fat content makes it ideal for grilling or pan frying. A roasted whole Barramundi with some ginger and soy dressing is the easiest way to enjoy this fish.
- Coral Trout- One of the tastiest fishes available the Coral Trout is known for its delicate flavour. A gentle steaming with some herbs, salt and pepper is enough to enhance its taste.
- Red Emperor- This sub-tropical variety of fish is known for its size and is suitable for filleting. Also being a fairly les fatty variety has made it a popular choice amongst the calorie conscious fish lovers. A barbequed Red emperor with a generous dash of lime juice is always a winner.
- Crayfish-This variety of crustacean is much loved amongst the people of Melbourne. Known to be high in protein this juicy and sweet tasting variety is best served sautéed in a little butter or olive oil.
- Oysters- Rich in vitamins like Zinc, oysters are enjoyed by one and all. You can just crack open the shell and squeeze a lemon on it and chug it whole. For the less adventurous kind, oysters can be steamed in their shell and enjoyed with a vinaigrette dressing.
- Crabs- Also a crustacean, Crabs has an unmistakable sweet delicate taste. They taste best when cooked in butter and garlic and can be enjoyed with a mayonnaise dip.
- Salmon- This delicious fish is renowned for its strong taste and flavour. Whether it’s fresh Salmon or the smoked variety, it can be enjoyed any time of the day. A very versatile fish, tasty appetizers like fish rolls can be made out of smoked salmon and it also goes well with pastas and salads.
Seafood is now one of the special things that the people of Melbourne cannot do without. At Claringbold’s we love the passion of our customers and enjoy working with them to decide on the best seafood choices for their meals. We strive to continue to constantly deliver delicious, fresh options for our customers to choose from. So the next time you are looking to buy some delicious Salmon or those hard to resist Oysters just come and visit us in the Prahran market.